Friday, February 17, 2012

Toshiba Satellite L755-s5306 Blue Screen of Death BSOD

Toshiba Satellite L755-S5306 Blue Screen of Death BSOD

If you are having “The Blue Screen Of Death” (BSOD) with a Toshiba Satellite L755-S5306 you are not alone. Please leave a comment in hopes enough of us can find each other and come up with a more permanent solution than the work around I present here. As of the day this was posted there was nothing index into Google or Toshiba’s forums regarding a Toshiba Satellite L755-S5306 having a BSOD problem.

Unfortunately I don't have an answer or solution so much as a troubleshooting alternative and that is to install Ubuntu 11+. I would rather use windows7 but the fact that Ubuntu runs without crashes indicates that my problem is a Windows 7 software issue. Windows7 is conflicting with either the hardware within my computer or some pre-installed factory software.

This laptop is new (it has only been out of the box for 3 months), has an i3 processor, 4GB of RAM and is still under warranty; until Sept. 10, 2012. I have yet to contact Toshiba but will. Within the last month (Feb. 2012) I started to get multiple BSODs out of no where. These were the following error messages:

1. KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Caused By Driver : luafv.sys

2. KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Caused By Driver : Ntfs.sys

3. SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe

4. PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe

5. KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Caused By Driver : partmgr.sys

You can see my full BSOD error reports here:CLICK HERE

I have done all of the following hoping to solve this issue with no luck:

1. Re-formated computer with factory shipped disk. Five Minutes after I did this I got the BSOD. That definitely eliminated the idea that it was something I had installed or that it was a windows update conflict.

2. Got all window updates. That didn’t help.

3. Checked all drivers manually one by one through the device manager for updates; according to the Device Manager there was no updates.  
*However, this is the only area of hope that I have. I downloaded the program Drive Max and it list several drivers as outdated. I can only download two a day and install them. After I have them all installed I will report back as to whether or not I have a BSOD.

4. Updated BIOS. Toshiba did have a BIOS update available but it didn’t work.

5. Ran window's memory diagnostic tool. It reported  no errors.

6. Check Disk with no errors

After all those failed attempts I took to the Internet. That is when I ran across a post online where a person stated they had the same problem with a similar Toshiba laptop and switched to Ubuntu. After doing so they had no problems. I did the same and agree I have no BSOD or other issues after one week. So I hope this helps for now. If anyone finds a windows based solution please leave a comment.

3 comments: